Sunday, April 22, 2012

Lace


Lace, a composition where the negative spaces are as important as the positive spaces.

While at university I explore the definition and practice of lace quite closely. I really valued the practice of traditional lace and applying it to modern day pieces, materials and techniques. Above is an image I came across a few years ago and treasure greatly. The shape of the top is very traditional, a small dip along the neck line and short capped sleeves but the lines, shapes and negative shapes are quite modern. I explored with leather during this project, please believe me when you don't know what you are doing and attempt to do all the delicate cutting by hand- it is quite a challenge, and a project I am yet to finish.

p x

Unfortunately I cannot remember where I found it but by all means, credits deserved where they are due.


No comments:

Post a Comment