Sunday, September 23, 2012

Interview: Holy Funk



Please allow me to introduce to you Adam Porat, the director and creator of Holy Funk. A fun and exciting new company to break into the design and interiors industry. Here is an interview I did with Adam a little while ago!
I hope you enjoy! All the information to find Holy Funk products are listed below. Don't forget to go to our Design, Form, Function Facebook page and like us to keep up to date with everything!


A name can often a make or break a baby company when entering a competitive industry. How did you come about the name “Holy Funk” and what does it represent to you?
When it came to naming my business, I wanted the name to be intriguing and appeal to a younger demographic. Being an online store, it was also important that the name was easy to remember and would stick in customer’s minds. It’s a bit of a quirky play on words, that seems to get plenty of positive reactions. To me, the name Holy Funk represents funky and unique interior decorating and design options. On a personal note, Holy Funk also represents hard work, persistence and a really exciting time in my life.

Furniture wasn’t your initial career path. What did you study at university and how did the career path change take place?
I studied a business degree at Monash University. From there my career path took me to ‘Marsh’, where I worked in the risk management department, servicing large multinational companies. I had always been quite entrepreneurial, and I noticed a distinct gap in the online market for affordable industrial furniture. Looking for a new challenge, I decided to leave Marsh to pursue my ambitions of owning a successful business. I had always been quite creative, and had been collecting vintage products for years. I had also taken a keen interest in industrial styled furniture and design a few years before launching Holy Funk. It is a real bonus to be working in an industry you’re passionate about and makes going to work each day really enjoyable.

Where do you source your stock from?
My vintage products come from a variety of sources. I often go to garage sales, markets and old factories. You have to be innovative when it comes to finding good vintage products. My industrial furniture comes mainly from Asia. I have developed a good relationship with my manufacturers and have got the quality and style down pat. I’ve started using my creative flair to create some original designs, which is set to arrive over the coming months. I also have a large number of products that I source locally. Many of my lights, clocks and homewares come from Australian suppliers.

Your website is very simple to navigate and you have a vast array of products. Do you have a showroom or is Holy Funk only online?
Being an e-commerce store, I put a lot of emphasis on making sure my website is user friendly and easy to navigate. I see so many websites lose customers because they over complicate things with unnecessary design and clutter. Many people don’t realise how much time and thought is spent ensuring that your website design is as efficient and effective as possible.
We have just launched our showroom in the last week. The showroom is open on Saturdays 10am – 2pm and Wednesday 12pm – 2pm at 10 Nelson Street, Moorabbin, 3189. Customers are welcome to come all other times by appointment. Having the showroom, is a great opportunity for customers to touch and feel the product before making a purchase. For those outside Victoria, our money back guarantee should put you at ease.

What does the future hold for “Holy Funk”?
In the near future we are working hard on increasing our range and introducing new designs each month. Long term, it would be great to build a complete lifestyle store. We are hoping to branch out into other areas, such as vintage styled bicycles, art, accessories and perhaps even clothes. It’s important to Holy Funk that we remain unique and provide products with character and a distinct point of difference.




Make sure you have a look at the Holy Funk website, it's very funky!



You can find all of the Holy Funk products and more information on the website.






T: (03) 9942 2860  E: adam@holyfunk.com.au






No comments:

Post a Comment