Sunday, November 4, 2012

Monday Inspiration: Abigail Ahern


Good morning Monday!
I thought it would be nice to kick off the working week with a little design inspiration, with the intention that it will allow you to enjoy your day just a little bit more.

Please allow me to introduce to you Abigail Ahern, interior design extraordinaire.

Below are two articles that were written about the designer a few years apart. They display her home as she once designed it and the more recent version with grey walls in almost every room!
(You know that makes me excited!)

Enjoy the read, or the view, or both if you are super keen and please don't hesitate to leave your comments at the bottom of the article or head over to the Facebook page where we have had a little make over! 
There is even a competition about to start!



This is the London home of interior stylist Abigail Ahern. I love the interior which is a blend of modern design and antiques, crafts, flea discovery and design classics.


The house is located in trendy East London. Not so long ago this was a poor, impoverished area. But in a short period of time, East London transformed into a trendy, hip neighborhood. It really has become the place to stay, and there have appeared many good restaurants and cool shops in the area.


One of these shops is Abegail’s own shop Atelier Abigail Ahern, where she sells everything from fun interior accessories to antique furniture.



(images by Hotze Eisma/via Interiormagasinet)


bathroomabigail.jpg


Today I’m loving … Abigail Ahern’s bathroom with the huge Neo Baroque Chandelier.

Article Two: New apartment



i still can’t get over how natural abigail ahern looks in her ahhhh-mazing home. doesn’t she just look like she belongs in the photo above? this british stylist and interior designer (and soon to be author) seriously knows what she’s doing and how to bring her own personal style to her projects. i’m loving her ability to mix eclectic elements while having fun, but not going overboard – very modern, but still so liveable. if what you see here isn’t enough to fill your fancy, click here for more, full-sized images, and of course there’s more great style at atelier abigail ahren. [thanks so much for sharing this incredible home of yours, abigail!] p.s. clickhere for all the beautiful sneak peeks. -anne

[Me walking thru my space with a fire burning. All fireplaces in the house work and in the winter there is always a fire on. . . The house was built in 1860, built over four floors and in a pretty derelict state when I bought it. I had just relocated from the States where I had worked as an interior designer for a young architectural practice in Birmingham, Michigan for 3 years, and they pretty much inspired the structure of how the house looked. They built some pretty amazing spaces (glass houses) over looking the great lakes - and I very much wanted to replicate the indoor/outdoor feel. So we took the exterior wall out and put in glass over 2 floors, hence a very modern/traditional vibe which very much reflects the furniture and accessories.]

Labeled dining room but really isn’t its another space to sit and work as we generally eat downstairs on the lower ground floor. The ostrich table I love it makes me smile and we sell in the store, the table I sprayed glossy black and the chairs again from antique shops/flea markets.

Basement living room

Front living room – my painting (isn’t a painting at all it’s an old sign which I flipped over and its back a beautiful textural rust looks like a painting. The concrete chair is one of the first things I ever brought for the house – we had no money, no furniture and I brought this chair from one of my favourite stores called Mint in London -its all we had to sit on for a year.

Book wall – one of our biggest sellers is the book case wallpaper and its here on this chair that I catch up on emails in the evening or flick through magazines. I can see the kitchen and the rest of the lower ground floor from this vantage point and often sit with a glass of wine in the evening while things cook away. The chair is covered in pink mohair from George Smith and again heaps of texture from the floor cushion to the cushions on the chair.

Bathroom – being a huge fan of candlelight – the chandelier gets lit a lot. In the winter I light the fire and have the longest bath.

I am pretty crazy on texture which adds interest- so the woolen throw comes from Nicole Farhi in London, all the other textiles from my store. Vintage finds include the lamp and the rusty old chair (which my husband died at when I brought home). I love it, it peels and sheds rust all the time!

Basement – this in my dog Molly snoozing on her favorite chair. The pink coffee table is something I was trying out from the store. Pieces continually evolve.



No comments:

Post a Comment