Monday, June 11, 2012

Jessica Comingore - Freelance Designer

I love stumbling across designers who are new to my world. Exploring their design aesthetic provides an insight into their theories, practices and in turn their personalities.

I have always wondered what it would be like to be a full time freelance designer. Being home all day with no time restraints make me a little uneasy. After reading an article on Design*Sponge this morning, I have a better insight into making your work and living spaces adjust. Jessica Comingore is a freelance designer who works from home in Los Angeles.

"Although she likes to keep things minimal, she has added several personal touches that illustrate her love of things rooted in tradition but with a modern twist. The great finds she’s scored from flea markets and thrift stores, mixed with some ethnic textiles and greenery, bring lots of colour and life to her home." - Design*Sponge


Image above: A good friend of mine gifted me with this chair, and I happened to find an exact match a few weeks later at a sidewalk sale. A lot of people have commented that they had these Marcel Breuer chairs (see note below)growing up and can’t imagine having them now, but having grown up eating dinner in Windsor chairs, these guys add the perfect dose of 1920s modern, and I don’t think I’ll ever tire of them. The lamp, side table and bag were all finds from the Rose Bowl Flea Market, and I spotted that ornate little gold frame at a yard sale one day and had it made into a mirror. The rubber leaf plant is a recent addition and pretty much fool proof, which is perfect for me since I have a very black thumb.


Here is a little design history to go along with the article; 
Marcel Lajos Breuer was born in Pécs, Hungary in 1902, and became on of the greatest architects and furniture designers of the 20th century. Breuer used new technologies and new materials in order to develop his 'International Style' of work.





Have a look at Jessica's blog for more wonderful design ideas;










No comments:

Post a Comment