Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Trace Ellis - Aura, textile design dream

There is a really great interview with Tracie Ellis below. This was compiled by The Design Files in 2010. I had some contact with Tracie yesterday which was quite exciting. Her textile range encompasses exactly what I love and what I strive to complete one day.

In the most literal, descriptive sense, AURA makes bed linen and home accessories. It may be strictly true, but it in no way indicates the amount of passion and excitement a mere object can contain.

Because every Aura product encompasses the richness of the world, a luxurious embodiment of exquisite colours, unique fabrics and beautiful, handcrafted finishes found all around the globe.

http://thedesignfiles.net/2010/06/interview-tracie-ellis-of-aura/

Tracie Ellis is another incredibly inspiring Melbourne businesswomen I have been meaning to feature on the site for quite some time. After studying Textile Design at RMIT, Tracie time spent working at some of Australia’s most respected textiles brands and retailers (including Davenport, Country Road homewares and Myer), before an unexpected career twist prompted her to launch her very own soft furnishings brand, AURA, in 2000. 10 years on, AURA is now one of Australia’s most respected premium bed linen companies, and is stocked by some of Australia’s best known retailers – as well as internationally in well-known UK stores House of Fraser and Heals, to name a few.








Tell me a little about your background – what path led you to setting up your business and doing what you’re doing now?
 
I grew up thinking I wanted to be a Vet or a Marine Biologist, at one stage I had a great desire to study penguins in Antarctica! But then during high school I became quite creative rather than academic and having a mother that was a wonderful painter and sewer l ended up down a different path – I studied Textile Design at RMIT and majored in “knit” which lead me to varied roles in textiles and management; Davenport boxer shorts, Country Road Homewares, Myer Buying Office, Patons knitting yarn, Jockey underwear and then The Austin Group in Geelong, where I was given the opportunity to create my first homewares brand Domis.
After travelling to Geelong from Melbourne every day for over 2 years the Domis brand was sold, then the old saying – that some things are meant to happen – well this helped me head in a different direction and start a new brand and thus AURA was born and this year is a milestone being our 10th birthday! Some people say I am addicted to work and I need a hobby but designing and textiles is my passion and my hobby so I am lucky! 

What have been some of your favourite designs or creative projects in recent times? 

My favorite design has to be our bedding range Maxx, named after my beautiful Mini Schnauzer! Maxx was so popular we launched a range of jacquard towels in the UK this year at House of Fraser, and they are now going to be available in Australia from Sept 2011 – which will be fabulous, as I believe that we have a pretty limited range of “interesting” towels in Australia. 

Maxx Quilt cover in black and ivory
  FABULOUS brand new Maxx Towels from AURA

As this is our anniversary year I am very excited about the future as we have been venturing beyond the bedroom, and designing a new collection of kaftans, scarves, towels and table linen, using beautiful hand crafted details and hand screen printed fabrics. Of course this has meant that I have been lucky to travel to India more – which I love. Here are some shots of the screens and trying to match colours for our new tablelinen – just like we did at uni – its all very hands on! ….and also means that our new range will be very unique and individual.

Matching colours in India for the new AURA tablelinen range – and the finished product!

LOVE these shots currently on Tracie’s blog from her recent Spring/Summer shoot… top right is super-stylist Glen Proebstel working his magic…! The photographer was Isamu Sawa.


Have a look at their gorgeous website here, the styling is a little piece of perfection - /http://www.aurahome.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment