Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Colour + Architecture

Yesterday was a day of firsts for many reasons. I found out how many people are reading my blog on a daily basis... WOW! Thank you!

This post suggestion was inspired by Ruby who is an architecture student, who left a really meaningful comment for me yesterday. These little comments really make a huge difference, so thank you!

I have now created a Facebook page to make navigating the blog and keeping up to date with posts a lot more user friendly. Please go to the Facebook page and like it so we can keep in touch!


Architecture can move us, it elicits different emotions, it can bring back memories and elicit direct emotions, like letting you feel small or big, or providing a safe feeling or even an unsafe one. When creating a space, whether it be in regards to styling, decorating, building, or designing we all try to elicit enjoyable emotions. Architectural spaces have certain atmospheres that influence the emotional state of a person: the interaction between the environment and its occupant.

Colour is a very powerful mean in architecture. How we experience colour depends on the colours surrounding us in our daily life. Warm and cold colours play an important role in our lives and evoke very different moods and emotions. We experience them in the variations of daylight from morning to evening and even into the darkness of night. 

The eye adjusts itself to the gradual change so that the local colours of details appear the same throughout the day. But if we observe something as a whole, a street scene or a lounge room for example, we become aware of the changes in the colour scheme. The mood of the scene and often even our mood changes with the changing light.

Here is an image I took this morning. Initially I was frustrated that the light was battling through the trees and casting shadows onto the Victorian Cottage and then I thought a little more about it and realised just what an effect it was making. 



I thought it would be interesting to focus on navy or dark blue. It is a colour I never really enjoyed until now, I think this has a lot to do with the relationship I draw between it and my school uniform. But now that that is long gone... Let's enjoy navy blue.












All images from google or self taken.
http://experiencingarchitecture.com/2011/05/19/colour/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment